Friday, May 16, 2014

Training Update 5/15/14

Whew! I've been away for a while. I still have Mother's Thumb, dangit. It is tenacious, even though I've splinted my thumb and been doing my stretch diligently...but there are some positives that have come from this injury:

1. My left shoulder, which had been stagnant for a while (still impinging with internal rotation and extreme range of external rotation, both on posterior capsule) has dramatically improved since I've been forced to stop pressing and rest it. My therapist gave me a new capsular stretch that is taking my shoulder in a range that would have been hell for my t-spine a few months ago, but feels fine now. Anyways, my teres seems to be "unlocking" itself, and I don't get much grindiness with internal or external rotation.

2. I've gotten some much needed rest. I was training 4x/week for a while, but the conditioning workouts were too much and were hurting my strength gains. My mom's thumb has forced that to stop, and I've noticed improvements in other areas as a result. Lesson learned. Again. Keep the goal the goal, train smarter, not harder. You can't force results to come faster than they want to.

3. The time away from writing has allowed me to clear my head and be introspective for a while. There is a lot going on at the moment: We have a new owner at our small club (more on that later), and it came as a surprise, but in a good way. My wife and I are also in the final stages of closing on our first home, which is amazing. But with all of this happening at the same time, it has been mighty stressful!

For now, I'll be doing kettlebell complexes 3x/week and trying to rest as much as possible to let this thumb of mine heal up completely. Double squats, presses, chins, pushups are working well for now. It's great conditioning and practice for SFG, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment